Thursday, July 16, 2009

Solar Roasted Chicken and Root Vegetables

If you want to start solar cooking it's a good idea to study your yard so you know where the sunniest spots are. I generally set my solar oven just outside the kitchen door where there is plenty of sun in the morning and well into the afternoon. However today I got off to a late start. It was almost noon by the time I got anything started. We had some rain and a lot of wind last night so the skies were clear. I wasn't concerned about clouds but I did have to leave while everything was cooking. If I left the solar oven in its regular spot it would be in the shade before I got home. Just before going out I moved it to the back of the yard where it stays sunny all day. All in all it was an uneventful solar cooking day. I made chicken thighs with rosemary and garlic and roast rutabagas and parsnips in the solar oven. To complete the meal I made a turnip risotto and steamed some kale.

No comments:

Post a Comment