Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Cake!

Normally I would never have even tried to use my sun oven with so many clouds but I decided to go for it. Here are a few things I learned:
As long as there's enough sun to cast a shadow you can use a solar oven.
It's o.k. if the temperature is lower than the recipe says, it will just take longer to bake.
Silicone cookware is perfect for solar cooking and it's easy to clean.
If the recipe calls for butter at room temperature and you forgot to take it out of the fridge and you live in Arizona, just put it out on the patio for ten minutes. It will soften.
You should calculate the calories per serving before following a recipe from any magazine, or never.
If a recipe in Bon Appétit calls for 'special equipment' you probably don't have it. The one I followed called for a 9 inch cake pan with two inch sides. Turns out my cake pan had 1.5 inch sides. The cake came out with a bit of a muffin top, or bottom since it is an upside down cake.

No comments:

Post a Comment