Sunday, July 12, 2009

Solar Pasta Sauce

By the end of the year I should be an expert on predicting the cloud cover. For the past few days it has been just cloudy enough in the morning to make me think I may get a day off from solar cooking. Then by 10:00 a.m. it's sunny enough to put the oven out but the valley is surrounded by clouds on the horizon. These clouds usually roll in sometime in the afternoon so I decided to make something that would cook quickly and could easily be brought in if necessary. Tomato sauce fit the bill. I propped the oven door open to let the steam escape so the sauce wouldn't be watery. It was ready in about an hour. It was good but making pasta sauce is probably not the best use for a solar cooker. It could have been made on the stovetop in about the time it takes to boil the pasta. I'm thinking of trying a sauce that needs to simmer for a few hours, like a bolognese, sometime. Just need to wait until after monsoon season is over so I don't have to worry about afternoon cloudiness.

No comments:

Post a Comment