Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Split Pea Soup


Looking back over my previous blog posts I detected a pattern. Whenever I can't come up with anything new I make split pea soup and that's exactly what I did today. My recipe, if you can call it that, is very simple. Diced onion, carrots, and celery sauteed in some olive oil. Add two cups of split peas, about five cups of water, a tablespoon or so of marjoram and leave it in the Sun Oven until the peas are falling apart. Puree it with a hand held blender, add salt and pepper to taste and you're done. I used to simmer a ham hock or a smoked turkey leg with it, but I think the soup is just as good without meat. I always try to make as big a batch as possible because this soup freezes very well, but with Martin around there usually isn't much left. Luckily, especially since I stopped putting the meat in it, it's about the easiest thing in the world to make.

No comments:

Post a Comment