Monday, October 5, 2009

Meatless Monday Minestrone


Inspired by the simple soup I made on Friday I put this minestrone together with vegetables I had on hand: leeks, savoy cabbage, butternut squash, carrots, celery and cranberry beans. Paired with a loaf of good crusty bread, some goat cheese and a glass of wine we enjoyed a light dinner. I used a cast iron dutch oven and slow cooked it all afternoon. I left it in the sealed Sun Oven until dinner time so there would be no need to reheat it. I plan on using the left overs for a risotto.

2 comments:

  1. I'm concerned about the weight of cast iron...being too heavy & cracking the inside layer of the sun oven. Do you foresee the weight of cast iron being a problem, with continued use?

    ReplyDelete
  2. The ability to use cast iron cookware was one of the major reasons I chose the Sun Oven over other solar cookers. I use cast iron all the time, and have been for years, and have not had any cracking. The interior of the Sun Oven is made of anodized aluminum and is very sturdy.

    ReplyDelete