Saturday, October 31, 2009

Solar Cooking from Ten to Two



It took a few days to get used to, but solar cooking from ten to two is definitely the way to go. After a trip to the grocery store yesterday I was ready. Today's dish is another variation on braised lamb shanks using a recipe from epicurous.com. I got it in the Sun Oven, which had reached 300º, at 10:30 a.m. After refocusing it a few times we went out for a few hours. When we got home, at 3:00 p.m., the temperature had gone down to 250º, but the lamb was fall off the bone tender and the beans were soft. 
It's going to take a little more planning to continue solar cooking throughout the colder months, but I think I'm going to make it.

1 comment:

  1. Lamb shanks are one of my favorite recipes... and something about fall makes me crave them. This looks just outrageously good! I wish we could get some nice lamb like that here (Santa Rosalia, Baja, Mexico)... but we'll be in La Paz and Puerto Vallarta later this year.

    We've been cooking without reflectors- our oven temp usually tops out around 250. We're still able to roast a whole chicken in rice, cook garbanzos, etc. If that lower temp is a proxy for what you're able to do in the wintertime, you're in good shape!

    ReplyDelete