Thursday, October 8, 2009

Creamy Sun Oven Risotto



With the sun back out in full force I was able to complete my risotto today. I used the sauteed onions from yesterday. I figured they'd be safe and it was nice to have a day off from onion chopping. To keep the dish as close as possible to traditional risotto I let the pot with the onions heat up before adding the rice. When it was sizzling hot, after about ten minutes in the Sun Oven, I stirred in a cup of arborio rice. While the rice sauteed with the onion I reheated two cups of leftover minestrone in... gasp... the microwave. When making a traditional risotto the hot liquid would be added a little at a time, while constantly stirring the rice. This would be impractical with a Sun Oven, so I added the minestrone all in one go, gave it a good stir, covered the pot and let it cook for thirty minutes. After removing the risotto from the Sun Oven I stirred in half a cup of freshly grated parmesan cheese and some fresh basil. The result was a pretty tasty risotto. The rice was al dente and it was even slightly creamy. We polished it off for lunch.

No comments:

Post a Comment