Friday, February 26, 2010

Solar Cake Disaster

Rummaging around in my cupboards yesterday I found this snowflake cake pan. Like most of my cookware I got it at a thrift store and like most of my bakeware I rarely use it.

The morning skies were clear. I decided to ignore Accuweather.com's forecast of increasing clouds throughout the day. I wanted to bake a chocolate cake. I thought I could accent the snowflakes with powdered sugar to make a very pretty cake. I had a few early morning errands to run so I got a late start.

Luckily I used a mix. Like I've said many times in this blog I'm not much of a baker. I had everything ready for the Sun Oven by 11:30. The sun was still shining in full force. Fifteen minutes later there was a thin layer of clouds. Nothing too drastic. The Sun Oven temperature had dropped a little but I wasn't worried yet. Over the course of the next few hours the cloud cover slowly increased. By two o'clock it was completely overcast. I'm not sure if I could have salvaged it by transferring it to the indoor oven. The thought didn't even cross my mind. I thought it was at worst just a little under cooked. I was wrong.

Maybe I should submit it to cakewrecks.com.


4 comments:

  1. Ummmmm. I think this calls for chopping it up and pouring some Rum Sauce over it! Having the same problem here in NC, today. Started out bright and sunny. Now, the clouds are coming in and they were NOT in the forecast...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Today is supposed to be sunny. Uh, yeah, right. It's totally overcast. Maybe I can get back to using the oven regularly after this really wet winter is over!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Some companies manufacture hybrid solar ovens that can be plugged into an electrical outlet. In the absence of sun, an electrically powered infrared heat source keeps the internal chamber at the proper cooking temperature.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bummer about the cake. But thanks for the link to cakewrecks.com. That site is almost as awesome as yours!

    ReplyDelete