Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Solar Baked "Pane Sciocco"


I woke up to clear skies and no bread. If I hurried I could have some freshly baked bread in time for lunch. I hauled the bread machine out of the pantry and got started. I showered and had breakfast while it was busy making the dough. Around noon I took two beautiful golden loaves out of the Sun Oven. As usual I could not resist cutting myself a slice and slathering it with butter. I bit into it and immediately realized I had forgot the salt. That's the last time I try to do any baking before my morning coffee.

Needless to say it was pretty bland, but all was not lost. True Tuscan bread, known as "pane sciocco" bread is made without salt. Because of that many Tuscan dishes are very salty. Saltless Tuscan bread is perfect for making "pane condito" (seasoned bread). It's easy to make. Just rub some sliced bread (day old is even better) with a clove of garlic and some tomatoes cut in half. Chop up a few more tomatoes and spread them out over the slices. Drizzle olive oil over everything. Dust with oregano and SALT! Let it sit for at least thirty minutes and enjoy.


1 comment:

  1. Oh, wow! What a great appetizer! Thanks for sharing. (My sister used to do something like that, add some hamburg, and pop them under the broiler. Called them Pizza Toast!)

    ReplyDelete