Friday, February 19, 2010

Solar Salmon Loaf

Once again I was a little hesitant to do any solar cooking today. The morning sky was partly cloudy and the forecast was for increasing clouds throughout the day. In the end I decided to go for it. Once again, despite the on again off again sunshine, the Sun Oven delivered.

I've been looking for a recipe that uses canned salmon that could be adapted for solar cooking for months. So imagine my excitement when Martin picked up a slow cooker cookbook at a yard sale that included a recipe for salmon loaf. The book, "The Healthy Slow Cooker", is one of the best of it's kind. There are a number of recipes I want to try - unlike most cookbooks that only have one or two enticing dishes. The turkey thighs from a couple of days ago were also inspired by one of its recipes.

On a scale of one to ten I'd give the salmon loaf a seven. It makes an excellent weeknight dinner, but I probably wouldn't serve to guests. I'd also play with the seasoning to personalize it a bit. It's a basic loaf recipe, sauteed onions, celery, and mushroom are seasoned with dried tarragon. Beat three eggs with some lemon juice, add two cans of salmon, bread crumbs, and the vegetable mixture. Form a loaf. Put that in an oval shaped roasting pan lined with aluminum foil. Cover it and place it in the Sun Oven. I served it with tzatziki (store bought), a salad, rice, and a glass of wine.

2 comments:

  1. Just couldn't help but notice, July 1st is coming up quick. It will be one year and I have to tell you I have enjoyed every post this year. Hopefully there will be a 2nd year. ;-]

    ReplyDelete