Friday, February 12, 2010

Return of the Sun Oven

The Sun Oven is back in business. I was home all day today. The sun was shining. We were out of bread. Baking a couple of loaves seemed to be a no brainer. By midday we were enjoying hot, fresh, 100% whole wheat bread - too bad we didn't have any butter. The only downside to solar baked bread is, it's so good that we are almost out of bread again.

The forecast for the rest of the week is very favorable for solar cooking. After scouring the internet for a recipe I plan on making Panforte tomorrow. It's a traditional Italian cake from Siena. I've never made it before, in fact I don't know anyone who has ever made it, but I miss it so much that I'm willing to take a stab at it.

4 comments:

  1. That's the truth! It goes as fast as it comes out of the oven! I am definitely going to pay attention to your Panforte experience. I love to try new recipes. We're still covered in snow and cloudy but next week is supposed to be clear and sunny. Menu-planning time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello there, Solar Oven Chef!! I check your Web site often and enjoy following along your tasty solar cooking experience.

    Because I'm learning quite a bit from you, I wonder if you would mind adding information such as oven placement and any adjustments made during the cooking period for any recipe. This info, along with other useful tidbits you would share (do you wear sunglasses each time you handle your oven, and I imagine oven mitts come in handy?) would be most appreciated.

    Because it's an El Nino year, which is a good thing because of our severe drought conditions here in the Southwest, your cooking frustration with the lack of sunshine was palpable all the way to Tucson!! Where was that lovely Chicken with Lemon dish!!!

    Thank you for sharing your solar oven experience in writing. It's interesting and fun (and I must say appetite stimulating, too!!).

    Regards and best wishes,

    ~d

    ReplyDelete
  3. Is there anything better than fresh bread hot from the oven? Sounds yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi D,

    When I'm home I micro manage the Sun Oven, moving it every half hour or so. In general the cooking time will be shorter this way. When I leave it unattended I focus it towards the midday sun before going out for the day. This way the Sun Oven works more like a slow cooker. With most foods, baked goods being the exception, overcooking is rarely an issue. Quite often I leave everything in the Sun Oven until dinnertime. If you don't open the glass door the food will stay warm for quite a long time, especially during the summer months in AZ.

    I always wear sunglasses, but I wear sun glasses whenever I go out - even if it's just to check the mail!

    I do use oven mitts or a dish towel. I use welders gloves, a trick I learned from Paul Munsen, president of Sun Ovens International.

    ReplyDelete