Monday, February 8, 2010

Super Bowl Snacks from the Sun Oven

It was not a very good day for solar cooking. The morning started out nice enough, clear skies with very few clouds on the horizon. I mistakenly thought I could put off cooking the chicken legs until the afternoon so they'd be ready right around kick-off time.

Unfortunately by noon the sky was a patchwork of enormous white clouds on a blue background. The sun came and went throughout the remainder of the day. A couple of times the Sun Oven was in the shade for so long I thought I'd have to switch to the indoor oven. I really didn't want to do that because Sun Oven cooked chicken is just so much better, especially these legs seasoned only with a spice rub and no added fat.

Right around game time it was obvious that the sun was gone for the day. The legs looked like they were cooked but just to be on the safe side I put them under the broiler for a few minutes; where I promptly burnt them. All was not lost, they were still edible if you picked off the blackened bits.

The hummus was made with the fava beans that I solar cooked yesterday. It came out a lot better than the chicken legs.

No comments:

Post a Comment