Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Sun Oven Pot Roast



In one of my first blog entries I talked about getting organized. I made a menu for the week and may have even stuck to it, for a week. I don't know why I still believe I'll become the kind of person who can plan out more than a day's worth of meals and gather all the necessary ingredients with one weekly trip to the grocery store. That's why I often find myself in situations like today. I spent the morning foraging in my pantry and browsing the internet looking for some inspiration. I didn't have much to work with, a few cans of salmon, less than a cup of red lentils, carrots, celery, potatoes, onions and a rutabaga. I could have baked some more bread or a batch of muffins but I wanted to make something new. I would have to make a morning run to the market. By now it was so late I needed something that could be thrown together quickly before I left for the afternoon. The pot roast was on sale. It would go well with all the root vegetables. Sounds like dinner to me.
 I really wouldn't call this a recipe. All I did was dot the meat with garlic, brown it in a dutch oven, add the chopped vegetables with a some broth and place it in the Sun Oven. It was noon by the time I got it in the Sun Oven. I didn't touch it again until dinnertime at 6 p.m.

No comments:

Post a Comment