Monday, September 14, 2009

Sun Oven Dried Tomatoes

The Sun Oven can also be used as a food dehydrator. All you have to do is prop the glass door open. I'd been planning on making a big batch of sun dried tomatoes as soon as I found a good deal on fresh ones. This morning it dawned on me that I might want to try a small batch first just in case. Good thing I did. I wasn't sure if I should slice the tomatoes or just cut them in half. I was afraid that they would not dry out enough if I cut them in half. I was wrong. The sliced ones stuck to the pan and had to be thrown away. The ones in the picture came out great; I cut them in quarters this time, but when I do find a bargain I'll just cut them in half. A tomato's moisture is no match for the Arizona sun combined with a Sun Oven. These were dry in under six hours.

1 comment:

  1. I have wondered about doing just that, sun ripening tomatoes. Thanks.

    Today, earlier in the day, I thin sliced russet potatoes, and layered them with air gaps, in an aluminum foil envelope within my pot (the one that I bought with the sun oven). I drizzled olive oil and cracked salt and pepper over them. Put the pot in at around 350F today, and cooked for an hour and 15 minutes. Easy, clean tasting, delicious.

    Then I made two pans of biscotti, just because I was thinking about it. Half for home, half for the boys at work.

    ReplyDelete