Thursday, September 24, 2009

A Simple Solar Cooked Dinner




After the extensive preparations that went into our two day camping trip, I was too tired to come up with anything exciting for dinner tonight. I followed a recipe for Pasta with Lentil Bolognese from epicurious.com but served it with rice instead of pasta. To modify it for the Sun Oven I used two pots. In the first one I cooked the lentils. I put the rest of the ingredients in the second pot and let them simmer alongside the lentils in the Sun Oven. I have learned from past experience that the acidity of the tomatoes will keep the lentils from softening so I prefer to precook them. When the lentils were almost done I combined everything into one pot and returned it to the Sun Oven. At this point I had enough room to start the rice. I served it just like it was pasta, spooning the lentils over the rice and dusting it with freshly grated romano cheese. It made a simple and satisfying dinner.


2 comments:

  1. I'm a new reader, and can I just tell you how much you amaze me?! I'm sure you're enjoying experimenting with your Sun Oven, but you're definitely an inspiration and a huge help to the rest of us!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thought you almost *HAD* to use dark pans so I passed up some blue enamel ware recently. But you obviously used red ones. How much cooking time difference is it without black? (I'd appreciate it if you answered this in a post as it's difficult to check comments.) Thanks for the inspiration this fall--my SunOven season is rapidally disappearing as I live in the woods of Maine. But I'll be learning lots to use next year and on some sunny weekends at least.

    ReplyDelete