Tuesday, September 29, 2009

From Frozen to Sun Roasted in Four Hours


I had a lot of work to do this afternoon so I chose what I thought would be a slow cooked dinner. I took two cornish hens (one fell apart before I could take the picture) straight from the freezer and put them in the pot atop a bed of rice, turnips and rutabaga. I popped everything in the Sun Oven at eight a.m. and went about my morning business. Shortly after noon I noticed that the glass door of the oven was covered in condensation, a telltale sign of doneness. I couldn't believe they could have gone from frozen solid to roasted so quickly, but they did. Since it was lunchtime we went ahead and ate. We'll be going out for dinner.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for all the info you post on your blog.

    Inspired by your cornish game hens cooking so quickly after being taken from the freezer, I decided to try something similar myself.

    It was beef stew meat and some other ingredients, but it was past midday and I wasn't sure I had enough sun to cook with. the meat was still pretty frozen, but I put the ingredients together and it cooked very well from 1 p.m. to 4p.m. and was completely done. I was really pleased.

    peace, shamba

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your comment. I was amazed at how fast the cornish hens cooked. Those puppies were rock solid! Most of the things I have made so far were my first attempt. I still find it hard to believe that the results are not just flukes. It's always good to know that it works for others too.

    ReplyDelete