Saturday, January 2, 2010

Solar Cooked Turkey Meatloaf


Now that the holidays are over I have a confession to make. There are a surprising number of holiday foods that I don't like. I won't even have a small taste of eggnog, pumpkin pie, any sweet potato dish that contains marshmallows, or canned cranberry sauce. I'm not crazy about turkey. I would never buy a ham but might have a small piece at a party. So this season I was very pleased to find two holiday recipes that will definitely be keepers - Chipotle Cranberry Sauce and Whipped Chipotle Sweet Potatoes. They were so good that today I made a turkey meatloaf in the Sun Oven just so I could make the side dishes. I couldn't find a turkey meatloaf recipe I liked, so I made one up.

Solar Turkey Meatloaf

1 tbls olive oil
1 small onion, chopped
1 carrot, shredded
1 stalk celery, chopped
1 clove garlic, minced
1lb lean ground turkey
1 egg, lightly beaten
2/3 cup dry bread crumbs
1/3 cup dry white wine
4 leaves fresh sage, chopped
1 tsp fresh thyme, leaves only
salt, pepper

Saute onion, carrot, celery and garlic in olive oil until soft, about ten minutes. Allow vegetable mixture to cool and combine with remaining ingredients in a large bowl. Form into a loaf and place in a dark roasting pan with a lid. Place in preheated Sun Oven and bake until internal temperature reaches 180ºf.

No comments:

Post a Comment