Monday, January 4, 2010

Rutabaga Recipe Disappoints


Nothing very exciting from the Sun Oven today. I had a bunch of rutabagas that needed to be cooked. Normally I would just toss them with some olive oil and roast them but I thought I'd give this recipe from epicurious.com a try. Rutabaga Purée with Cardamon and Thyme. They're much better roasted. I couldn't even taste the cardamon and créme fraîche is not an ingredient I normally have on hand, in fact I used crema mexicana instead - it's a lot less expensive. If you do feel the inclination to give the recipe a try, make sure you don't leave any of the cardamon pods in before you purée the rutabagas. I missed one and wound up with a bunch of nasty little seeds that I had to pick out. I doubt I'll be making it again, it's back to good old olive oil for me.

In case you were wondering, the other things on the plate are chick pea patties and sauteed greens. They're not from the Sun Oven.

No comments:

Post a Comment