Saturday, June 19, 2010

Sun Oven Fennel and Potato Soup

This week I'll be making a lot of big batches of foods that freeze well. I'm going to visit my mother at the end of the month and Martin will be on his own for ten days. The last time I was away for that long he lived on frozen pizza and chinese take out. I'm hoping that with a well stocked freezer, the Sun Oven, and Arizona's abundant sunshine he'll eat a little better this time.

I adapted this recipe from Bon Appétit. In the original recipe it's garnished with smoked salmon. I normally use a salmon paté that I get at Ikea. I didn't have any, and a trip to Ikea on Saturday is not my idea of fun, so I improvised. In some of the reviews on Bon Appétit's website other cooks had substituted with prosciutto. I didn't have any prosciutto either. I did have some leftover corned beef from a reuben sandwich I had on my way home from L.A. It was o.k. but next time I think I'll make the trip to Ikea.


Solar Oven Potato-Fennel Soup with Salmon Patè

1 Tbs butter
1 medium onion chopped
2 fennel bulbs chopped, fronds reserved
1/2 tsp fennel seeds
4 medium potatoes, diced (about 1 1/2 pounds)
4 cups low sodium chicken broth

Melt butter. Saute onions until soft. Add fennel, seeds, potatoes, and broth. Transfer to Sun Oven. When potatoes are tender, after approx. an hour,  remove from solar oven and blend in the pot with an immersion blender. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Ladle into soup bowls and garnish with chopped fennel fronds and salmon pate.

1 comment:

  1. Hahaha, heeheehee...Martin, sun oven, hahahahahaha. When I would have to leave my hubby with prepared foods that only needed to be microwaved or quick-heated on the stove, it never happened...he hit the fast food places or ordered pizza...you shouldn't be surprised to find it all waiting for you when you return...hahahaha...heeheehee...but, then again, Martin could prove me wrong...I hope...

    OK, two of my favorites veggies. I'm going to do these in the mason jars for fast transfer to the freezer. Can use my immersion blender right in the jar or wait till ready to serve. Thanks for sharing...

    ReplyDelete