Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Sun Oven Dried Tomatoes

  I used the last sun dried tomato from my previous batch the other day so when I saw roma tomatoes on sale I snatched some up. They would dry faster if I cut them up in smaller pieces, but I like the texture better when they're halved, even if it means it will take two days complete the process. About the only thing I use them for is my "No Mayonnaise Tuna Spread", but I make a batch almost every week so I like to have them on hand at all times.


No Mayo Tuna Salad Spread
4 - 6 servings

6 sun dried tomatoes
1 tbs capers, drained
6 black olives, pitted
2 cans tuna packed in water
2 tsp olive oil
Fresh parsley or basil (optional)


Soak the tomatoes in a small bowl of warm water for approximately 10 minutes. Drain tomatoes, reserving soaking water, and place in a food processor with the capers and olives. Process until finely chopped. Add tuna, olive oil, and herbs if using, and process until mixed. Add reserved tomato soaking water 1 tsp at a time while processor is running until desired consistency is reached. Depending on the type of tuna, it may not be necessary to add any water at all. 
This spread can be used to make sandwiches or as a pasta sauce. To serve over pasta retain a bit of the cooking water to add in as necessary. It will keep, refrigerated, for three days.



Tomatoes in the A.M.




After one day in the Sun Oven

3 comments:

  1. So you leave the door open for drying? Any problems with insects?

    That spread sounds good. Since I don't eat tuna, I could substitute (solar)cooked chickpeas mashed with a fork. Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, wow! That recipe sounds delicious and I can taste the flavors in the reading. Just picked up a bunch of Romas and will definitely do this. Yummy...

    ReplyDelete