Thursday, June 3, 2010

BBQ Turkey Thighs

 Not to sound like a broken record or anything, but I chose to make pulled turkey rather then pulled pork because it meant fewer calories. I've been extra diligent the last few weeks for a reason. I'm going on a ten day vacation at the end of the month and I want to lose some weight beforehand. Not to look good in a bathing suit, in fact I won't even be bringing one, but because I know I'll gain at least five pounds while I'm away. I don't condone yo-yo dieting, but I have found that it's much easier to drop a few pounds before a vacation than after.

 Like Sun Oven pulled pork, BBQ turkey is crazy easy. Just take a couple of turkey thighs, remove the skin, coat them with your favorite dry rub, pour some liquid smoke over them, throw in a quartered onion, and put them in the Sun Oven. When they're ready pull the meat off the bones and serve with your favorite BBQ sauce.

3 comments:

  1. What a clever idea! Makes alot more sense to diet before vacation and not worry about the calories...thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can you give an approximate cooking time? Half hour, hour, one and a half hours?

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'd say the cooking time is about two hours.

    ReplyDelete