Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Solar Roasted Beets - Not Bad

Tuesdays are my busiest day. I have to get up earlier than usual and am away from home all day. If I want to come home to a solar cooked meal I have to do most of the prep work the night before. Last night I didn't do any. That left me with little choice other than throwing a couple of beets in the Sun Oven to roast. At least I'd have tonight's side dish taken care of.

I'll eat beets on occasion. There's a local restaurant we often go to - Joe's Farm Grill - where you can substitute beet salad for fries, and since I'm looking to cut calories wherever possible that's what I do, but I've never said to myself, "I could really go for some beets right now".

Before leaving this morning I scrubbed two beets, tossed them in a dark covered pot, and set it in the Sun Oven. In the past, out of habit, I would wrap them in tin foil first, but today I discovered that they come out even better without it. When I got home I took them out of the Sun Oven and when they were cool enough to handle I peeled them, chopped them up, and drizzled a little olive oil over them. They were so tasty I just may find myself craving more some day.

3 comments:

  1. Beets are one of my favorite vegetables and I will eat them pickled, Harvard, sliced with butter, any way you can throw them at me. I love how the solar oven handles root vegetables...thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love roasted beets and they come out lovely in the solar oven. Very tasty served cold in slices dressed with horseradish, mayo, and salt.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I did this by accident. I don.t know why but I put them on the windowsill out of ambivalence and 4 days later, they are very soft. It.s Oct in milw.

    ReplyDelete