Sunday, May 16, 2010

All American Solar Dinner

You can't get much more American than BBQ pulled pork and corn on the cob and both are easy to make in the Sun Oven. I normally use a premixed purchased spice rub, but today I made my own, and I was pleased to discover that it's much better - not to mention cheaper. Rub the spices all over the pork shoulder, sprinkle some liquid smoke on it, put it in a dark covered pot, and let it gently simmer away in the Sun Oven. The aromas will make your neighbors think you've got a BBQ pit.

The corn on the cob was an afterthought. I didn't even put it in the Sun Oven until after 4 p.m. I'd gone to the store to get some salad fixings and it looked too good to pass up. As you can see in the picture you can cook it in its husk. Give it a good wash and put it in the Sun Oven as is. You can cook it along with your main dish, just set it next to, or on top of the pot.


Basic Dry Rub - adapted from "Cheater BBQ" by Mindy Merrell and R.B. Quinn

1/4 cup paprika
2 tablespoons kosher salt
1 tablespoon granulated garlic
1 tablespoon dry mustard

Combine all ingredients in a jar with a tight-fitting lid. Shake to combine.

1 comment:

  1. I've been moving the past few weeks, so I haven't been able to look at your website until today (not to mention the incessant rain so I wouldn't be able to use the solar oven anyway), but pulled pork and corn on the cob are right up my alley. I'm inspired--and the moment the sun decides to grace Utah with its presence I'll be making this. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete