Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Sunshine Peach Butter


With the fridge once again full of leftovers and a relatively open schedule I thought it would be a good day to give this recipe a try. I made peach butter once in my crock-pot using a recipe I found at pickyourown.org and have been wanting to make it in the Sun Oven ever since. The hardest part was finding good peaches.








Here's how I made it in the Sun Oven:

10 large freestone peaches
1 cup sugar
4 cardamon pods
1 tsp cinnamon

To peel the peaches I dropped them in boiling water for 30 seconds then in cold water. The skin comes right off. I chopped the peaches and put them in the ceramic insert of my crock-pot with the sugar and spices. A dutch oven would work too. I put it in the Sun Oven with the crock-pot lid slightly ajar. When the peaches were soft, after approximately four hours, I brought it inside and pureed it with a handheld blender. At this point it was still too watery so I put it back in the Sun Oven without the lid for another two hours. At this point I took it out of the Sun Oven and put it in the crock-pot base to keep it warm while I proceeded with the canning process.

And here's what I would change if I make it again:

I would puree the peaches before putting them in the Sun Oven the first time. This would have saved me a step. I would tweak the spices a bit or maybe not use any at all. I would make a bigger batch. I got six eight ounce jars of peach butter. For this much work I'd like a better yield.

No comments:

Post a Comment